DEG Offers List of Conditions of OEM Bumper Covers when Shipped - BodyShop Business

DEG Offers List of Conditions of OEM Bumper Covers when Shipped

The Database Enhancement Gateway (DEG) has developed a matrix of major vehicle manufacturers (OEs) and the condition in which their bumper covers are shipped.

DEG says it has received several inquiries regarding the varying condition in which OEs ship bumper covers (Raw, Primed, In Color, etc.) and related questions as to whether database labor reflects additional labor associated with the treatment of raw plastic. In response, the DEG has developed a matrix that will assist collision damage estimators in identifying how each of the major OEs ship bumper covers:

  OEs Shipping Primed Bumper Covers
 • Ford (The only parts currently shipped raw are mirror skull caps.)

• Volkswagen

• Chrysler

• Audi

• General Motors

• Saturn

• Honda (Or surface finished ready to install.)

• Acura (Or surface finished ready to install.)

 OEs Shipping Raw Bumper Covers
 • Toyota (with the exception of a few Corolla parts coming out of one specific plant)

• Lexus

• Subaru

• Hyundai

 OEs Shipping Combination of Raw/Primed/Painted Bumper Covers
 • Volvo (95 percent are shipped painted, and the other 5 percent are
raw. No consistent make/model shipped raw but typically older models or
rush orders.)

• Mazda (Currently shipped primed or raw but in the near future all covers will be shipped raw.)

• Nissan

• Infiniti

• Mercedes (Most covers are shipped in color or primed but some do go out raw.)

• Mitsubishi (‘04 and newer Endeavor, ‘99 and newer Galant, ‘00 and
newer Eclipse, ‘01 and newer Eclipse Spyder, and ‘97-‘03 Diamante are
all shipped raw.)

“This will help estimators to prepare more accurate estimates and,
where appropriate, to include the unique additional refinish labor
operations that are often necessary to prepare a raw bumper for the
refinish process,” said Bud Center, DEG administrator.

“The CIC Database Committee has been working this issue with the information providers for some time now,” said Nick Kostakis, DEG Joint Operating Committee member. “It’s our goal to work with the information providers to automate the additional labor operations necessary to prepare raw bumper covers vs. primed bumper covers. This tool, prepared by the DEG, will help collision repairs to more easily identify raw bumpers at the point of estimate preparation until such time as the information providers can automate this information.”


More information:

Database Enhancement Gateway

You May Also Like

Body Bangin’: Stand Out in a Consolidator’s Market with John Shoemaker

Micki Woods interviews John Shoemaker of BASF on how to be “elite” in a consolidator’s market.

Micki Woods, master marketer for collision repair shops and owner of Micki Woods Marketing, has released the latest episode of "Body Bangin'," the video podcast that is taking the industry by storm!

In this episode, Woods interviews John Shoemaker, business development manager with BASF Automotive Refinishes NA, on how to be "elite" in a consolidator's market, which comes down to differentiating yourself through things like OEM certification.

Body Bangin’: Can Loaner Vehicles Be Another Revenue Stream?

Micki Woods interviews Laura Tierney of ShopLoaner.com on turning loaner vehicles into a new profit center for your shop.

Protect Your Shop from Cyber Crimes with Mark Riddell

Micki Woods interviews Mark Riddell of m3 Networks Limited on what auto body shops can do to protect themselves from a cyber attack.

Body Bangin’: The Disengagement Epidemic with Kevin Wolfe

Micki Woods interviews Leaders Way Owner Kevin Wolfe on why 73% of work professionals are disengaged today and what we can do about it.

Body Bangin’: I Thought We Were Doing It Right with Josh Piccione

Micki Woods interviews Josh Piccione on repairing vehicles correctly — according to manufacturer guidelines.

Other Posts

Body Bangin’: Be a Star Not a Hamster with Robert Snook

Micki Woods interviews popular keynote speaker Robert Snook on how to differentiate and grow your business.

Body Bangin’: Know Me, Know My Car with Mike Anderson

Micki Woods interviews Mike Anderson on the importance of building an emotional connection with your customers.

Body Bangin’: Fighting for Consumer Safety with Burl Richards

Micki Woods interviews Burl Richards on his personal mission to fight for consumers’ rights and safety.

Body Bangin’: The Employer-Student Disconnect

Micki Woods interviews Raven Hartkopf, lead collision instructor at Collin College in Texas, on what students want from a shop employer.