KWH Mirka Ltd, one of the world’s largest abrasive manufacturers, is celebrating its 70th anniversary.
The company was founded in Helsinki Dec. 8, 1943. Mirka’s first factory was located in rented premises in Helsinki during the World War II. In 1962, the owners decided to move the company to Western Finland and the same year, the company also started to export products abroad.
A new factory was built in the beginning of the 1970s in Jeppo, where the company’s headquarters are located today. The company’s first subsidiary, Mirka Abrasives Ltd, was established in the U.K. in 1979, followed by Mirka Schleifmittel GmbH in Germany in 1980 and Mirka Abrasives Inc. in the United States in 1985.
Through its research and development program, Mirka has become a specialist in flexible abrasives, as well as revolutionary, patented abrasives that allow customers to enjoy a dust-free surface finishing process, according to the company. The company has expanded from a leading abrasive maker into a developer and manufacturer of complete sanding systems.
The company is continuously looking for opportunities to reduce its environmental footprint. Mirka is partnering with environmental management services provider Ekokem to build and operate a bioenergy plant that will significantly reduce their oil use and decrease waste that goes to landfill. Mirka’s sustainability and corporate responsibility are built on four "Clean Commitments:" Clean Proactivity, Clean Partner, Clean Production and Clean Performance.
Today, the company has production facilities in four different locations in Finland and one manufacturing plant for wide belts in the same facilities as the company’s European warehouse, located in Belgium. Mirka’s 15 subsidiaries are located in Europe, North and South America, and Asia. More than 90 percent of the company’s products are exported and sold in more than 80 countries.