Not All Parts Are Created Equal: Aftermarket (A/M) Parts - BodyShop Business

Not All Parts Are Created Equal: Aftermarket (A/M) Parts

With the State Farm aftermarket (A/M) parts suit still in appeal, the ultimate fate of alternative parts is still up in the air.

Are shops still using A/M parts even though many insurers have altered their stance on writing for them on estimates?

According to the 2000 BodyShop Business “Industry Profile,” of those shops using OE crash parts, 88.3 percent of their repair orders include them. Of those shops using A/M crash parts, 67.4 percent of their repair orders include them. And of those shops using non-CAPA certified crash parts, 30.2 percent of their repair orders include them.

It shouldn’t come as a surprise then that shop owners say OE crash parts fit the best: 95.2 percent provide an acceptable fit. On the other hand, respondents reported that only 55.5 percent of CAPA-certified crash parts and 45.7 percent of non-CAPA certified crash parts provide an acceptable fit.

What happens when CAPA-certified parts don’t fit well? Seventy percent of shop owners report that insurance companies never pay for re-fitting the parts, while 10.3 percent say they pay half the time and 2.8 percent say they always pay.

When a shop does have a problem with a CAPA-certified part do they notify CAPA? Unfortunately, 47.7 percent of respondents say they never notify CAPA regarding problems with certified parts.

If a customer objects to the use A/M crash parts, do insurers pay for OE? According to our survey, 70.4 percent of shop owners say yes, while the other 29.6 percent say no. Those same shop owners say vehicle owners have an unequivocal right to know when A/M crash parts are used to repair their vehicles. More than 78 percent of shop owners also say it’s the body shop’s responsibility to inform the owner when A/M or salvage parts are used.


Writer Melissa McGee is managing editor of BodyShop Business.

You May Also Like

Deadline for Busch Memorial Scholarships Approaching

Two scholarships will be awarded to students pursuing a collision career.

The ASE Education Foundation announced that the deadline to apply for the Michael Busch Memorial Scholarships is March 31. Presented by the foundation, two scholarships will be awarded for the 2024-25 academic year to students pursuing a career in the collision industry.

Qualified applicants should be graduating high school seniors or have graduated from high school or received a GED certificate. In addition, applicants should be enrolled or planning to enroll as a full-time student in a two- or four-year college or university or in an ASE-accredited post-secondary collision repair program.

Body Bangin’: Stand Out in a Consolidator’s Market with John Shoemaker

Micki Woods interviews John Shoemaker of BASF on how to be “elite” in a consolidator’s market.

Body Bangin’: Can Loaner Vehicles Be Another Revenue Stream?

Micki Woods interviews Laura Tierney of ShopLoaner.com on turning loaner vehicles into a new profit center for your shop.

Protect Your Shop from Cyber Crimes with Mark Riddell

Micki Woods interviews Mark Riddell of m3 Networks Limited on what auto body shops can do to protect themselves from a cyber attack.

Body Bangin’: The Disengagement Epidemic with Kevin Wolfe

Micki Woods interviews Leaders Way Owner Kevin Wolfe on why 73% of work professionals are disengaged today and what we can do about it.

Other Posts

Body Bangin’: I Thought We Were Doing It Right with Josh Piccione

Micki Woods interviews Josh Piccione on repairing vehicles correctly — according to manufacturer guidelines.

Body Bangin’: Be a Star Not a Hamster with Robert Snook

Micki Woods interviews popular keynote speaker Robert Snook on how to differentiate and grow your business.

Body Bangin’: Know Me, Know My Car with Mike Anderson

Micki Woods interviews Mike Anderson on the importance of building an emotional connection with your customers.

Body Bangin’: Fighting for Consumer Safety with Burl Richards

Micki Woods interviews Burl Richards on his personal mission to fight for consumers’ rights and safety.