When repairing a vehicle, the battery often must be disconnected to prevent onboard computer failure or damage to critical electrical components. Upon reconnection of the battery, certain systems, such as the power windows, may not operate unless they’re reprogrammed.
Without proper OEM procedures to perform or analyze these operations, you and your staff could be faced with obstacles such as:
- Increased repair times (cycle times).
- Unnecessary sublet repairs.
- Negative customer relations.
- Possible vehicle system damage.
The following is an example of a manufacturer’s reprogramming procedure for the power windows on a 2008 Lexus GS450H.
Always refer to ALLDATA for safety procedures, identification of material types, recommended repair materials, special tools and installation procedures. Always refer to Lexus for questions relating to applicable or non-applicable warranty repair information.
• Without depressing the brake pedal, push the engine start/stop switch twice to select the “IG-ON” mode. At this time, the driver’s door power window switch will blink (figure 1).
• Push the driver’s door switch and lower the window halfway.
• Pull up the driv-er’s door power window switch until the window closes, and continue to hold it up for more than one second. At this time, the driver’s door pow-
er window switch will stop blinking and the light will remain on (figure 2).
NOTE: Jam protection function is enabled through the above initialization procedure.
• Check for the proper operation of the “one touch open and close” function by fully pushing the switch “down” once and fully pulling the switch “up” once.
• Repeat steps 2-4 on the power window switch for each door.
• Check that the power window switch light for each door remains on.
NOTE: Anytime the battery terminal has been disconnected, the power window for each door must be re-initialized.
Written by Dan Espersen, ALLDATA Senior Collision Program Manager. Dan is I-Car Platinum Certified, a Gold Pin Member of the Collision Industry Conference (CIC) and holds an AA Degree in Automotive Technology. He has 17 years of experience in the collision industry and 17 years of experience in the automotive industry.
© 2007 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. All technical information, images and specifications are from the ALLDATA Product. ALLDATA is a registered trademark of ALLDATA LLC. All other marks are the property of their respective holders. Lexus and GS450H are registered trademarks of the Toyota Motor Company and are being used solely for reference and application purposes.